I tried the demo and it's quite a fun game. Though, I find myself overwhelmed trying to figure out where my character currently is, but that's probably something that can be fixed by playing more; I also haven't looked at the map so maybe that would improve the experience as well.
A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, Linux, and Android
A text-based open world fantasy roguelike adventure
Master the secrets of a changing fantasy world over the course of many 30-90 minute adventures. Explore the wilds around a single village as you track down magical treasures, aid or disrupt encroaching factions, and match wits with an enigmatic Magician.
Thousands of possible endings!
Complete player freedom! Interact with the people and places you encounter however you choose. Change the balance of power and the fates of everyone you meet! Or don't. You can stay in the tavern, go fishing, or ignore everyone and just do your own thing. The choice is completely up to you.
Watch gameplay footage from Upheaval:
- Incredibly replayable! Complete each adventure in 30-90 minutes. Play multiple times to learn more about the world and explore multiple endings.
- Big world! Over 50 unique locations to explore and discover.
- Dynamic! Non-player characters (both friends and enemies) are living, moving people for you to respond to and interact with, not just static encounters waiting for you to find them.
- Treasure! Over 15 magical and mundane treasures and items for you to find and use, each of which can be used in multiple different ways.
- So many endings! Over 5,000 unique endings, depending on your choices throughout the game. What mark will you leave on the world when your adventure is over?
- Mobile-friendly! Made to be easily played on your phone. Play for a few minutes or a few hours.
- Command line version! Play like it's 1980 with the command line version of Upheaval, no graphics required.
- Accessible! The command-line version supports screen readers and keyboard navigation for blind and vision impaired players. Also includes separate volume sliders for ambient sound, music, sound effects, and master volume, windowed and fullscreen mode, dark and light mode, and adjustable difficulty.
- Magic! In 30 days, the Magician will arrive. How will you spend your time until then?
- Relaxed Mode! Turn off the default time limit and explore the world at your own pace.
- Lore! A rich history surrounds your little village, its secrets hidden in the beautiful and treacherous landscape around it. Discover how magic has affected the land in generations past. How will your knowledge of the past influence your decisions today?
- Fantasy! Goblins, bandits, spells, curses, undead spirits, fairies, visions, true love, and more!
- Text-to-speech navigation support for the graphical version
- Many brand new, replayable encounters
- Expanded use of magic spells throughout the game
- Configurable controls
- New optional in-game lore dumps, for those of us who like reading a whole lot
- New location: The mines, a procedurally generated maze that's different every time you play (can be bypassed with the right items if you don't like mazes)
- Big new magic item for the end game
Thank you much to all Upheaval's playtesters: Julia Leone, David Leone, Caleb Olson, Andrew Donders, Vito Sauro, Cece Leone, Cody, Jonathan, Patrick, George, and others!
Download the demo below to play the first half of the game for free. :)
Early Access - Alpha
While Upheaval is in alpha, new content is added with every release. Buy the alpha today at a discount and own all future releases of Upheaval as well!
If the "Buy" links on this page don't work for you, use this link to buy Upheaval.
Upheaval is coming to Steam when it's finished. Wishlist it on Steam to get an email when the full game releases. :)
Follow me here on itch.io to hear about future updates and progress.
Join our Discord to chat with the developer, to discuss ways to make Upheaval better, and to share your experiences with other players!
Please share Upheaval with your friends! Getting the word out helps a ton. :)
|Updated||1 day ago|
|Platforms||Windows, macOS, Linux, Android|
|Genre||Adventure, Interactive Fiction, Role Playing|
|Tags||Exploration, Fantasy, Open World, Roguelike, Sandbox, Singleplayer, Text based, Turn-based|
|Average session||About an hour|
|Inputs||Keyboard, Mouse, Touchscreen, Smartphone|
|Accessibility||Color-blind friendly, Subtitles, High-contrast, Blind friendly|
|Links||Steam, Join the Discord|
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $4.99 USD. You will get access to the following files:
Also available on
- The New Beginnings Update is Now Available! (Upheaval Alpha Version 0.0.12)1 day ago
- Minor Bugfix (Upheaval Alpha Version 0.0.11)46 days ago
- The Big Demo Update is Now Available! (Upheaval Alpha Version 0.0.10)48 days ago
- Upheaval Alpha Version 0.0.9 is Available (The Sounds and Music Update)May 23, 2023
- Upheaval Alpha Version 0.0.8 is Available (The Mac and Linux Update)Mar 13, 2023
- Upheaval Alpha Version 0.0.7 is Available (The Big Graphical Update)Feb 18, 2023
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Thank you for playing! :D I agree, looking at the map will probably help, especially since it has an indicator showing where you are. Any suggestions for making it easier to look at the map, or do you think it’s fine as it is? Glad you had fun, at any rate! :D
The demo download for all types isnt working for me, please help I want to try it to see if I like the game
I like it, I enjoy the simplicity of the game and how it enables an incredible amount of freedom.
I hope an option to load community modules is on the to-do list.
Thank you! Player freedom is one of my goals. :)
I would love to have community modules; at this point, I don’t have any idea what they would look like.
What sort of content are you thinking could be added with community modules? And, are you interested in making community modules, or in having them to install?
I'm thinking mostly about added content and standalone adventures, just look at how much stuff people keep making for old games.
I personally don't expect I'll create much but I promise I'll try.
Thanks, I’ll keep it in mind! :) If I get a few more people expressing interest in creating community content for Upheaval, I’d be happy to support them and add the ability to make and load community modules!
In the meantime, the save files are all actually in plain text already, so you can edit them to your heart’s content. Technically you can even add new content to the game by editing the save files! Although it’s much easier to do things like change characters’ names and let yourself out of prison. XD
Hey Alex! Is the current version playable via console? If not, are you planning on making it so? I'm legally blind and prefer to play most text-only games via console/terminal if possible, but to me it looks like v0.0.4 can't be played that way as of yet.
No (sorry about that), and Yes! :D I’m releasing version 0.0.5 on Console tomorrow (Dec 12); I’m just doing some last minute testing over the weekend to make sure it’s ready before it goes out. I’ll post a devlog tomorrow when it comes out–if you’ve downloaded the demo or bought the full game, you should get an email when it’s ready to play.
Thanks for your support, man!