A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, Linux, and Android
A text-based open world fantasy adventure RPG
You have just 30 days before the enigmatic Magician arrives! Explore the wilds, track down magical treasures, choose to aid or disrupt encroaching factions, and master the world's secrets over multiple playthroughs as you take what you've learned into each new adventure.
The Magician is coming. Will you be ready this time?
Change is coming, and time is not on your side!
Your choices matter! Interact with people and places you encounter however you choose. Change the balance of power and the fates of everyone you meet! Or don't. You can stay in the tavern, go fishing, or ignore everyone and just do your own thing. The choice is completely up to you.
Watch gameplay footage from Upheaval:
- Incredibly replayable! Complete each adventure in 30-90 minutes. Play multiple times to learn more about the world and explore multiple endings.
- Big world! Over 40 unique locations to explore and discover.
- Dynamic! Non-player characters (both friends and enemies) are living, moving people for you to respond to and interact with, not just static encounters waiting for you to find them.
- Treasure! Over 15 magical and mundane treasures and items for you to find and use, each of which can be used in multiple different ways.
- So many endings! Over 5,000 unique endings, depending on your choices throughout the game. What mark will you leave on the world when your adventure is over?
- Mobile-friendly! Made to be easily played on your phone. Play for a few minutes or a few hours.
- Console version! Play like it's 1980 with the console version of Upheaval, no graphics required.
- Accessible! The console version supports screen readers and keyboard navigation for blind and vision impaired players.
- Magic! In 30 days, the Magician will arrive. How will you spend your time until then?
- Lore! A rich history surrounds your little village, its secrets hidden in the beautiful and treacherous landscape around it. Discover how magic has affected the land in generations past. How will your knowledge of the past influence your decisions today?
- Fantasy! Goblins, bandits, spells, curses, undead spirits, faeries, visions, true love, and more!
Download the demo below to play the first half of the game for free. :)
Early Access - Alpha
While Upheaval is in alpha, new content is added with every release. Buy the alpha today at a discount and own all future releases of Upheaval as well!
If the "Buy" links on this page don't work for you, use this link to buy Upheaval.
Upheaval is coming to Steam when it's finished (aiming for 2024). Wishlist it on Steam to get an email when the full game releases. :)
Follow me here on itch.io to hear about future updates and progress.
Join our Discord to chat with the developer, to discuss ways to make Upheaval better, and to share your experiences with other players!
Please share Upheaval with your friends! Getting the word out helps a ton. :)
|Updated||18 days ago|
|Platforms||Windows, macOS, Linux, Android|
|Genre||Role Playing, Adventure, Interactive Fiction|
|Tags||Fantasy, Meaningful Choices, Multiple Endings, Roguelike, Singleplayer, Story Rich, Text based, Touch-Friendly|
|Average session||About an hour|
|Inputs||Keyboard, Mouse, Touchscreen, Smartphone|
|Accessibility||Color-blind friendly, Subtitles, High-contrast, Blind friendly|
|Links||Steam, Join the Discord|
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $4.99 USD. You will get access to the following files:
Also available on
- Upheaval Alpha Version 0.0.8 is Available (The Mac and Linux Update)18 days ago
- Upheaval Alpha Version 0.0.7 is Available (The Big Graphical Update)41 days ago
- You can Vote for Upheaval in the IFDB Awards until Feb 17th!59 days ago
- Upheaval Alpha Version 0.0.6 is Available (The Goblin Update)68 days ago
- Upheaval on Sale for the itch.io Winter Sale!Dec 21, 2022
- Updated Demo available, New and Improved!Dec 19, 2022
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
I tried the demo and it's quite a fun game. Though, I find myself overwhelmed trying to figure out where my character currently is, but that's probably something that can be fixed by playing more; I also haven't looked at the map so maybe that would improve the experience as well.
Thank you for playing! :D I agree, looking at the map will probably help, especially since it has an indicator showing where you are. Any suggestions for making it easier to look at the map, or do you think it’s fine as it is? Glad you had fun, at any rate! :D
The demo download for all types isnt working for me, please help I want to try it to see if I like the game
I’m so sorry! itch.io support has some posts about fixing downloading problems. See if one of these links helps, and let me know if they don’t?
Thank you, seems to work now
I like it, I enjoy the simplicity of the game and how it enables an incredible amount of freedom.
I hope an option to load community modules is on the to-do list.
Thank you! Player freedom is one of my goals. :)
I would love to have community modules; at this point, I don’t have any idea what they would look like.
What sort of content are you thinking could be added with community modules? And, are you interested in making community modules, or in having them to install?
I'm thinking mostly about added content and standalone adventures, just look at how much stuff people keep making for old games.
I personally don't expect I'll create much but I promise I'll try.
Thanks, I’ll keep it in mind! :) If I get a few more people expressing interest in creating community content for Upheaval, I’d be happy to support them and add the ability to make and load community modules!
In the meantime, the save files are all actually in plain text already, so you can edit them to your heart’s content. Technically you can even add new content to the game by editing the save files! Although it’s much easier to do things like change characters’ names and let yourself out of prison. XD
Hey Alex! Is the current version playable via console? If not, are you planning on making it so? I'm legally blind and prefer to play most text-only games via console/terminal if possible, but to me it looks like v0.0.4 can't be played that way as of yet.
No (sorry about that), and Yes! :D I’m releasing version 0.0.5 on Console tomorrow (Dec 12); I’m just doing some last minute testing over the weekend to make sure it’s ready before it goes out. I’ll post a devlog tomorrow when it comes out–if you’ve downloaded the demo or bought the full game, you should get an email when it’s ready to play.
Thanks for your support, man!
Awesome, thanks so much for the quick reply - and of course for being cool enough to make the game blind-accessible! Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see where this project'll go!
The full Windows Console version is out now! :)